Have you ever felt like making games was only for teams of programmers, artists, and writers, or maybe a single ubermensch of game making skills? Have you dreamed of making a game with the story you want, the characters you created, the battles you choose? With our program, we can show you that the former isn’t true and the latter is something within your grasp. RPG Maker VX Ace is the latest in a long line of video game engines created by Enterbrain to create 2D tile based PC RPGs (Role-Playing Games). Our program is easy enough so that anyone, regardless of experience, is able to create their own games. Using an easy point and click eventing system, most game behaviors can be created with no programming knowledge at all.
RPG Maker VX Ace also allows incredible versatility and customization for advanced users through RGSS3, a scripting system based on the Ruby programming language. Because of this approach, RPG Maker VX Ace has been used successfully by everyone from young children to commercial independent game developers.
RPG Maker VX Ace comes pre-packed with a large collection of high quality graphic and audio resources, so that you can jump right into making your game. And if those aren’t enough, you can easily import new resources, whether you made the resources yourself, found them online, or bought official RPG Maker expansion packs, with just a few clicks of your mouse.
Let’s explore the parts of the editor you will use to make your game.
Within these digital walls, you will create:
• Actors: The heroes of your story. With a few clicks and a bit of typing you can give them a name, a description, and select their face and in game appearance. We have a large collection of pre-packed faces and sprites that you can pick from, or you can add more.
• Classes and Skills: Without stats and skills, where would your heroes be? You will use these tabs to determine the power of your heroes, their strength and agility, their ability to throw a fireball, or the ability to use an ancient sword technique not seen for a thousand years.
• Items, Weapons and Armor: Forge the weapons your heroes will wield, the armor they will wear, and the potions or herbs they will heal themselves with. A good adventurer is never without his gear, and yours won’t be either.
• Enemies and Troops: What are heroes without proper villains to do battle with? Here you can create all manner of dastardly villains or monsters for your heroes to fight. From slimes to sorcerers, from knights to demons, your imagination alone restricts your choices.
• And much more!
In the map editor, you will create the world your characters will explore. Using the tiles that come with RPG Maker VX Ace, you can easily create almost any fantasy environment you can dream up, from a castle in the snow to a forest to a city in the desert.
All that is needed to make a map is to select the tiles from the palette and then clicking where you want it to go on the map. It is as easy as using Paint!
The tilesets included with VX Ace include:
• Field: With this you will make a world map. From Oceans and rivers, to fields, forests, deserts, mountains and swamps, your world will come alive with this tileset.
• Exterior: With this tileset you will make the outsides of towns, castles, dungeons, and even forest maps in a variety of climates: temperate, tropical, desert, and even snow is included!
• Interior: After you’ve made the outsides of those towns and castles, your characters will want to go inside. With this you will craft the interiors of most buildings starting with the walls and floors, and then filling it with furniture, wall hangings, and other details!
• Dungeon: Your adventurers will need dungeons to explore and pilfer. You will use this tileset to create almost any sort of dungeon you can imagine.
And if those aren’t enough, you can always add your own!
The event editor controls the flow of your game. You will use it to create NPCs, traps, puzzles, shops, cutscenes, and pretty much any other thing that you can imagine a player interacting with on your maps.
Creating events is as easy as switching to the event layer in the map editor, selecting where you want one, and hitting new event. From there you will tell RPG Maker VX Ace what you actions you want the event to do using Event Commands, a list of selectable commands with clear names like “Message”, “Transfer Player”, and “Shop Processing”.
Combining commands you will be able to guide your hero through his journey with ease.
The Database, Map Editor and Event Editor can sometimes only go so far.
With the power of the Script Editor, nothing can stand in your way. Want to make an entirely new battle system? Want more or maybe even different equipment slots? The Script Editor can do all of this and more if you unlock its secrets.
Using RGSS3, based on the Ruby programming language, you can alter almost any portion of the way your game works.
Don’t think you have what it takes to make your own scripts? That is okay. The modularity of RGSS3 scripts allows you to find fan scripts from all over the internet and just copy and paste them into your game.
So, Now My Game is Done
Now that you are done, what do you do with your game?
Well that is up to you!
Want to share it with the internet? Upload it and share it on any site you want!
But what if you want to sell it for some cash. Don’t you owe us royalties, or something similar? Not at all. Anything made with RPG Maker VX Ace is 100% ready to sell, with no additional costs to us.
Nothing is stopping you, with RPG Maker VX Ace at your fingertips, the game you always wanted to make can be yours.